Google

Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Creating Martyrs

Disney has stopped Miramax from distributing Michael Moore's new documentary Fahrenheit 911.

I don't like that move a little bit. Not only because I always hated censorship, but because this move brings memories of movies that were banned in my part of the world for political reasons. Needless to say, all those bans were temporary and all they achieved was to bring status of martyrs and great artists to people who would otherwise be lost in the fog of mediocrity.

I can already picture how would this ban affect Michael Moore's chances of victory at Cannes Film Festival or his film's chances of getting regular cinema distribution in countries like Croatia. And I don't envy those critics who would question Michael Moore's status of film genius and political martyr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home