Google

Sunday, June 13, 2004

Not Getting It

Some years ago Married with Children was being aired on Croatian state television. For whole set of reason (mostly my dislike for American sitcoms, developed during the latter seasons of Alf) I never bothered to watch a single episode. Some of my friends, on the other hand, became big fans.

One night they decided to convert me into Married with Children fan and convinced me to watch an episode together with them. The episode was set in England. I watched and I don't remember smiling, let alone laughing. I also noticed that my friends weren't enthusiastic about episode either.

"Hmm… This was pretty bad, don't you agree?" I observed.

"Well… Yes. This one was pretty bad. But you don't get it. You just had misfortune of seeing one bad episode. The series as a whole is wonderful."

Average European trying to convert average American into soccer fan would probably have similar dialogue after today's game between Croatia and Switzerland. There isn't anything more pathetic than seeing two bad teams playing bad game and scoring no goals. And even more pathetic is knowledge that at least one of those teams can be much better.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Claudia tried to get me to watch the France-England game. I watched for about 15 minutes and said, "I'm dying. I can feel brain cells actually dying of boredom. I don't care about Beckham, his wife, or his hair. Nothing is happening. I'm going to go write a post about the elections in Serbia now."

Of course, it turned out to be one of the most dramatic and exciting FIFA games ever, with Beckham scoring, but then France snatching victory with /two/ goals in extra time.

I suppose there's a lesson there, but I'm not sure what it is.


Doug M.

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home